Note: I’ve started writing this article before the Ban and Restricted announcement.
After months of break from writing articles, I’m back with a spicy modern deck. The deck I’m writing about today is build around Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas.
I feel that this card is really powerful in an artifact shell. This is the deck I have been playing on Magic Online and in real life before the Eldrazi Ban / Sword of the Meek unban announcement.
Pre Eldrazi Ban UB Tezzerator
- Removal spells are necessary to survive the early turns while trying to find an Ensnaring Bridge
- Inkmoth Nexus and Blinkmoth Nexus allows you to attack through bridge and pump them for a faster infect clock.
- Trinket Mage allows you to run a lot of Silver Bullet against lots of decks, for example Executioner’s Capsule as a recurring kill spell with Academy Ruins, Expedition Map to find one of the win conditions lands, Pithing Needle to stop planeswalkers, affinity and Melira combo. Also Trinket Mage allows you to run several 1 ofs in the sideboard to stop several match ups.
Trinket Mage also allows you to find the 4th mana source in the form of Darksteel Citadel and Mox Opal
- Win condition lands: Nephalia Drownyard and Urza’s Factory allows you to have an alternate win condition over Ensnaring Bridge.
Here are the match ups and how Tezzerator fairs against them:
- Good:Burn, Creature based aggro decks, Eldrazi
- Average: BGx decks
- Bad:Lantern Control, Tron, Combo without creatures
What I would change (test) going forward:
- Add a Tezzeret the Seeker with probably more 2+ CMC artifacts
- Try to cut some of the manlands for Crucible of Worlds + Ghost Quarters / Tectonic Edge
- Remove Ashiok sideboard, it has been underwhelming also when it was good.
- Add somewhere in the 75: 1 extra Chalice of the Void + Engineered Explosives and probably an extra Glen Elendra Archmage.
- Maybe try to add 1 Witchbane Orb in the Sideboard and maybe 1 Welding Jar.
- Some other form or removal: Ratchet Bomb / Echoing Truth …
What I would keep:
Post Eldrazi Ban UB Tezzerator (No Sword of the Meek)
After the unban of Sword of the Meek I would probably play a bit more control version of the deck with less mana rocks. Also I belive you don’t need high number of Sword of the Meek and Thopter Foundry for the combo. The deck has enough “prison” elements and it has time to find the combo. If I would have to play in a modern tournament tomorrow, I would play something similar to this (note, I have not tested with this version):
Andrea – Karn’s Blueprints