Frontier popularity is declining, local stores can’t get 8 people to fire a Frontier event, GP Side Events are firing with not many people (if they are firing). But I think we as a community need to keep Frontier alive!
Last week I participated in GP San Antonio (organized by Cascade Games). I didn’t make day 2 and I decided to play the Frontier Side Event on Sunday.
Sadly only 4 people showed up to play Frontier, but Cascade Games were great and decided to fire the event anyway, giving everyone a Round 1 BYE, and play in a Round Robin format maintaining the prize structure of the event (50 packs for 4-0, 20 packs for 3-1 and 2 packs for 2-2).
I played my RB Dragons list, still not updated with cards from Aether Revolt.
- Round 1: BYE
- Round 2: Abzan Blue Delirium (2-1). The match up felt really good, lost for drawing too many lands. Opponent’s deck was really good, good synergies. The list ran Jace, Vryn’s Prodigy, Traverse the Ulvenwald, Torrential Gearhulk, Satyr Wayfinder,… I really loved seeing innovation and a sweet deck.
- Round 3: Atarka Goblins with Smuggler’s Copter and Metallic Mimic (2-0). I am always afraid of this match up, I am afraid that they go wide with tokens against my sport removal spells. Game 1 Opponent tapped a few goblins for Obelisk of Urd and a dashed Kolaghan, the Storm’s Fury was able to steal the game. In game 2 opponent over extended and Seismic Rupture was able to clear the board and take the match home for the good guy.
- Round 4: Boros Humans with Smuggler’s Copter (2-1). This match up felt a bit harder than the rest, but being patient, I was able to trade off resources to have time to play a few dragons and win. The game loss was for a wrong sequencing from my side that forced me to trade a lethal Thopter.
Here is the list I played:
RB Dragons 4-0 GP San Antonio Side Event
Goblin Rabblemaster has been really underwhelming in this deck, it rarely gets to live, and even if it does, it’s goblin tokens will get blocked every time. For this reason going forward I want to test out Walking Ballista. I also want to test some number of Fatal Push for early interaction with cards that are really popular in the format, especially Jace, Vryn’s Prodigy and Smuggler’s Copter.
Here is an updated list I would play before Amonkhet comes out:
RB Dragons Aether Revolt
I am really excited about the new Amonket Cycling Lands spoiled on the Mothership website.
I think that Canyon Slough will be included in some numbers in my Red Black Dragons list.
I really like having lands that you can fetch with the Khans of Tarkir fetchlands and that late game you can use to “redraw”.
Amonkhet is also bringing us a new Dragon:
I don’t think it will replace Kolaghan, the Storm’s Fury; Kolaghan is the key that makes R/B a great deck, and there’s no reason to have more 5-drops in the deck in this fast format. Maybe it can be in the sideboard, but I would have prefer it to do 5 damage so it could kill Siege Rhino.
Don’t let Frontier die!
Latest posts by Andrea Biaggi (see all)
- Frontier is dead (?), R/B Dragons is still the best deck and AKH Lands - April 4, 2017
- Preparing for GP Chiba with UR Delver - November 25, 2016
- Frontier Format: Thoughts & Decklists - November 1, 2016